Each year during the month of May, The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) highlights Better Hearing & Speech Month (BHSM) to raise awareness about communication disorders. This year the 2020 theme “Communication At Work”, has an additional focus. With the event of COVID-19, the campaign has been expanded to include “BHSM 2020: Preventing and Managing Communication Disorders during COVID-19,” and provides support to parents and families during this challenging time. Through this campaign, free informational resources for the public are available which feature guidance that can be used as families spend more time in the home environment. In addition, ASHA will be frequently updating their website with new resources on COVID-19 through the end of May.
- At Home with Young Children? Build Preschoolers Speech and Language Skills with Everyday Interactions and Activities (ASHA)
- Tips for Parents: Maximizing Success of Virtual Speech and Language Treatment Sessions (ASHA)
- Early Intervention and COVID-19: Advice for Parents of Children 0-3 Whose Services Are Interrupted (ASHA)
- Helping Children with Language Disorders Maintain Social Connection During COVID-19 (ASHA)
- COVID-19 and School Closures: Tips for Parents of Bilingual Children and English Language Learners Receiving Speech-Language Therapy Services (ASHA)