KRS 167.037 requires the establishment of a Kentucky School for the Deaf (KSD) Advisory Board. The board is to be composed of nine members appointed by the Kentucky Board of Education (KBE) upon the recommendation of the commissioner of education.
The purpose of the board is to act in an advisory capacity to assist school leadership and make recommendations to the commissioner of education concerning all areas relating to the effective operation of the school. A majority of the board’s membership shall be persons who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing.
The membership shall be statewide and consist of:
- Two parents of Deaf children;
- One professional in the education of the Deaf;
- One former student of the Kentucky School for the Deaf;
- One member of the Kentucky Association for the Deaf;
- Two members representing school districts; and
- Two members at large
Currently, self-nominations for the Kentucky School for the Deaf Advisory Board are being accepted for every role group. Self-nominations may be submitted to Shannon Sparkman by 4 p.m. ET on Aug. 30.