Human Development Institute (HDI) & Kentucky Department of Education (KDE):
The Parent Involvement Initiative is part of the Kentucky Department of Education’s State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG), funded by the Office of Special Education Programs and managed by the University of Kentucky. It is designed to promote stakeholder engagement in Kentucky Department of Education initiatives (e.g. State Performance Plan and State Systemic Improvement Plan).
- Parent Handbook
The Kentucky Parent Guide for Special Education [PDF] was developed to provide parents and other stakeholders with information regarding the special education process and services provided to students throughout the state. Click on the link above for answers to questions regarding the special education process.
- Parent Involvement Video Series- Developed to provide information from The Kentucky Parent Guide for Special Education. Videos range in length from 10-26 minutes each, and can be viewed by an individual or a group. The videos are designed with flexibility in mind, so parents can view them in order, or as specific needs arise. Click on the link provided, and it will take you directly to the chosen video.
- Video 1- Welcome: An overview of projects/initiatives serving the needs of students identified with disabilities, and an introduction to the video series. http://mediaportal.education.ky.gov/uncategorized/2016/10/spdg-video-series-parent-involvement/
- Video 2- Eligibility: Describes the special education eligibility process. http://mediaportal.education.ky.gov/uncategorized/2016/10/spdg-video-series-special-education-services-eligibility/
- Video 3- Evaluation: Describes the referral, evaluation and ARC process, including a discussion of response to intervention. http://mediaportal.education.ky.gov/uncategorized/2016/10/spdg-video-series-evaluation-need-for-services/
- Video 4- IEP: Describes the IEP process, including the components of the IEP. http://mediaportal.education.ky.gov/uncategorized/2016/11/spdg-video-series-individual-education-plan-iep/
- Video 5- Tips for Parents: Includes a description of resources available to parents and ways to foster a strong home/school partnership. http://mediaportal.education.ky.gov/uncategorized/2016/10/spdg-video-series-how-to-support-learning-parent-tips/
- Video 6- SSI: Provides an in-depth discussion of SSI and the benefits and impact of joining the workforce. http://mediaportal.education.ky.gov/uncategorized/2016/11/spdg-video-series-the-truth-about-supplemental-security-income-ssi/